Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Eliminating FAT Talk!

Being a mother of a very impressionable 10 year old daughter, I am becoming more and more aware of the words that come out of my mouth.


Sometimes it's hard and things just slip out. Case in point, I was recording a 4 minute clip of myself for a Back to School video I am putting together for our school's PTA. When I played it back, I was dying. I was SO critical of myself. I finally walked away, realizing I was being (irrationally) hard on myself.

I came across this book, which is now on my wishlist. (I hope it's as good as what I've read so far.) Operation Beautiful: Transforming the Way You See Yourself One Post-it Note at a Time:
Operation Beautiful: Transforming the Way You See Yourself One Post-it Note at a Time


Here are some tips from the book on how to bolster your self-esteem:
1. Start slow. "The worst thing you can do is try to overhaul your fitness and eating habits overnight. It took years to develop your bad habits; it will take more than a few days to break them. Let's say you're starting from healthy eating ground zero--fast food, frozen dinners, no vegetables. Trying to figure out how to cook all your meals, eat more produce, and manage your own snacks could be overwhelming. Instead of a complete diet overhaul, just focus on improving one meal (like breakfast) for two weeks. Or try replacing one of your snacks with a piece of fruit.

2. Consciously replace negative thoughts with positive BUT REALISTIC ones. "It's important to tell yourself something that's believable and uplifting."

3. Remind yourself that negative self-talk has actually been shown to increase unhealthy behavior when it comes to diet, exercise, and other areas of a healthy balanced lifestyle.

4. Make a list of your positive qualities and tape them to your bathroom mirror.
I love that last idea. I’m cheesy and I love to idea of leaving love notes around the house. Plus I have some really cute post-its! Wanna try with me?


Blogaholic Designs”=

No comments:

Post a Comment