Monday, May 5, 2008

Dum da da DUM ...

Guess what? I ran 10 miles on Saturday, that's what!

I was having such a hard time before hand. Robin couldn't run, because her doctor told her she couldn't run until Monday. So, I could either go with her to the gym and get my 8-10 on the treadmill, or I could go on my own (the other runners were running at 6:30, but they run faster, so I'd basically be on my own.) I couldn't imagine doing either. Really I just didn't have confidence in myself being able to run that long. I was practically in tears beforehand and Taylor asked what he could do to help. I told him that there wasn't anything he could do ... I just had to go and do it.

I found a park that has a 1 mile loop and talked to Taylor and the kids about hanging out at the playground while I ran. They agreed. We packed a picnic for them and lot of water and energy gels for me. I loaded my ipod with upbeat music. I planned to do at least 8, but really wanted to do 10. The park was beautiful and the temp was perfect. I was strong the first two miles, however 1/3 of the mile look is a very steep and then very UPhill run. The up was killing me. So, I decided to finish the rest on the 2/3 mile loop which was slightly hilly, but pretty level. By mile 6 I was feeling strong and decided to go for 10. At mile 8.5 I was regretting the decision, but kept going. Aubrey ran a total of two of the miles with me (this is with NO training!) I ran out of music on the ipod, but started over again. My last lap was quite emotional. I blasted Josh Groban's "Don't give up!" and was tearful as I finished.

What I learned:
  • I CAN and WILL finish the marathon (and it won't kill me!)
  • I DO NOT like the peach banana gel shot ... GAG!
  • The Orange vanilla gel shot was bearable as were the strawberry bloks
  • Stretching is important, including upper body (I got really tight in my shoulders and back and had to walk while stretching it out several times)
  • It's not the end of the world if I need to stop and walk.
It took me 2 1/2 hours, which is pretty consistent with our 15 minute mile pace. Slow and steady I tell ya! It was such a feeling of accomplishment.

5/2/2008 - 10 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment