Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gearing up for the cooler weather

Have I mentioned how much I love this time of year? It's hot one second and then down right brisk the next, the colors are changing, the holidays are just around the corner. Makes me want to cozy up with a cup of hot chocolate and snuggle with my loved ones!


Just because cooler (and dare I say cold) weather is on the horizon, does this mean that you can continue exercising outdoors? No way! While training for my half marathon this year (started in February when there was still ice/hail/frost/snow) I did the majority of my running outdoors and discovered having the right gear makes all the difference.

A little background, before this year I only ever bought the cheap workout clothes. You know from Wally World or Target (not that they don't have some good stuff). But I discovered going for the name brands (Nike, Adidas, etc.) and reading the tags (it will tell you what temp it is designed to be worn in) is really the key for outdoor exercise gear. This is one area where you're buying more than just the name brand. Doesn't mean you have to pay an arm and a leg though, shop the outlets, sales, clearance racks, etc.

My picks:
It's comfy and kept my ears nice an cozy even when there was cold wind/hail


Before I had these I wore just some regular gloves but they always got sweaty which then made them cold. I was skeptical to see if these would be any different. They are very lightweight, but surprisingly warm and the material actually stays dry which means you stay warm! Being so light weight, it's easy to put them in your pocket half way through a run once your body warms up.
You can wear these on their own or layer them. I usually wore these on especially cold days under my regular running pants. I'd go with my hubby and he'd come home and his legs were ice to the touch (he wore just running pants, he was too tough to wear tights!) and my were not. Again, the material breathes so you don't have all that sweat sitting on your skin.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't wear matching brands. You see, my hubby wears everything Adidas, down to the socks. Me? I go for what I like. If they happen to be the same brand, great. If not, who cares! So, yes I can be seen sporting a Nike Headband and gloves with (gasp) Adidas Pants! Lol. These pants are just plain comfy, they move well and I got a good deal on them. So there you have it.

I always started out with this jacket on cold mornings, and often took it off after the first mile or so. It is light enough that you can tie it around your waste if you're not in a place where you can ditch it to the side. They have even warmer jackets than this, but this one suited my needs.

I lost my fav long sleeved running shirt this year so I'm in the market for a new one. I've heard lots of good things about Under Armour ... this is what they are famous for. I always layered a long sleeved tee under my jacket. I previously had an Adidas one, but why not brand switch it just a little bit more!

There's my take on it, I'd love to hear about your favorites! 


Blogaholic Designs”=

No comments:

Post a Comment