Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Memphis Style Beef Ribs!

I am so not a "griller" by any stretch of the imagination, but this week ribs were on sale for a steal, so I had to grab some and try it out.

I found this great recipe for a dry rub on the grill and it turned out amazing!

Now I wish I had taken this picture, but I didn't (thanks google!). My pictures didn't turn out as well, but the final product looked as good if not better than this pix! Maybe not the healthiest dish, but we paired it with an assortment of fresh fruits and veggies, so it wasn't too bad! (I easily stayed under my calorie goals.)

Want to try?

Memphis-Style Beef Ribs
2 racks of beef ribs
3 T sweet paprika
2 t hot red pepper flakes (I halved this since I do not like HOT)
2 t mustard seeds
3 t coarse salt
2 t black pepper
2 T brown sugar
1 t celery salt
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 t dried oregano
1 t cumin
1 cup distilled white vinegar

1. Rinse ribs and pat dry. Combine the paprika, hot pepper flakes, mustard seeds, 2 t salt, pepper, brown sugar, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano and cumin in a small bowl or spice shaker. Set aside 2 T for the mop sauce. Sprinkle about 1 T of the rub on the meat side and 1/2 T on the bones side of each rack of ribs, rubbing the spices on with your fingers. Let the ribs sit for 30 minutes while you make the vinegar mop and preheat the grill.

2. Combine the vinegar and remaining 1 t salt with the 2 T reserved rub in a small bowl and stir until the salt is dissolved.

3. Set up the grill for indirect grilling (important) and preheat to medium (325-350 degrees).

4. Place the ribs in the center of the hot grate away from the coals (or flame) and cover the grill. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours. When the ribs are cooked, they will be mahogany brown and tender enough to pull apart with your fingers; the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones.

5. Transfer the ribs to a clean curring board. mop on both sides with mop sauce and sprinkle with the remaining rub. Cut and serve!

I was so hesitant with the vinegar mop sauce (it was VERY vinegary!) and used it very sparingly. Next time, I'll not hold back. It was totally scumptious! The kids were surprised that they liked it too! (The neighbor's dog is a happy camper with the bones!)

6 comments:

  1. They were very delicious. Thank you for doing all the work hun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks babe! I like to surprise you every once in a while with something way out of the box for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this Carrie! I'm not a major fan of ribs, but your blog entry has definitely piqued my interest. I've even gone so far as to share the posting without trying it and that's nearly unheard of for me. I'm counting on it being good when I give it a run this weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe thanks, Kimberly! I'd love to hear if you like it. If you don't already know, make sure to look up directions on how to do indirect grilling with your grill. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely. Thanks! I think direct heat with ribs would make them charcoal very quickly.

    ReplyDelete